JESUS: He Saves His People




Ever since my childhood, I never cease to be amazed by the momentous event of the first Christmas. The angel told Joseph not be afraid to take Mary as his wife, because what was conceived in her was from the Holy Spirit. “She will give birth to a son,” he told him, “and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

The Son of God, who was eternally with the Father, and by whom all things were created, became a man and came down from heaven to our world. The eternal King was clothed in humility and dwelt among us; the infant of Bethlehem is Emmanuel, God with us!

Jesus came to fulfill a mission that no one else could perform; he came to save his people from their sins.

For we have broken God’s Law, we are guilty before him, we deserve his punishment and wrath in hell. Thankfully Jesus saves sinners from the guilt and dominion of sin, from death and hell.

Sadly Christ is of no benefit to some people, for he saves his people but they do not belong to him.

Therefore I ought to ask myself, do I belong to Jesus, am I a living member of his church? Have I repented of my sins, am I walking with him in obedience to his Word? Am I trusting wholeheartedly in him for the salvation of my soul?

If I do, I can be confident that he will save me also from my sins. He saves me because he is God, and God is all powerful. He saves me became he became human, was nailed to a cross and shed his blood to pay my debt in full. He took upon himself what he never had, sin; and gave to me what I never had, a clean heart and eternal life.

I hope that you too experience the forgiveness and peace that Jesus alone gives. He saves his people from their sins.