Here I am Lord


Amidst the uncertainties and vicissitudes of life, the word of God is the solid rock upon which we can build our future.

How then should we respond to God’s word? Mary is our good model in this respect. When she received the message from God, Mary answered the angel: “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38).

Mary believed and submitted herself to the command and promise of God. ‘I am the servant of the Lord,’ she declared. In other words, I recognise your authority over me and my duty to obey you; I am ready and willing to do whatever you tell me.

Mary did not object to the danger of spoiling her marriage or ruining her reputation. All fears were calmed by her solid belief in God’s wisdom and goodness. Moreover, she was convinced that God would fulfil his promise even though she did not understand how she could conceive a child without knowing a man. It was enough for Mary to trust in the power of Almighty God.

Finally Mary expressed her desire and longing to receive God’s promise. She prayed, ‘Let it be according to your word.’ That was her ‘amen’ to the promise of God. Her hope for the future was based on the faithfulness of God: the Lord will certainly perform what he has promised.

May we also adopt a humble and reverent attitude. When we hear God’s word, let us set aside every doubt and objection, and embrace it with all our heart. God will certainly keep his promises and bless us beyond our imagination in our faith and obedience.