Poll - November 2007

"Faith Alone" implies that for justification, good works are (a) excluded; (b) optional; (c) necessary.
  • Excluded (418) 92%

  • Optional (6) 1%

  • Necessary (29) 6%
Total votes: 453. Poll closed.

Comments: I'm glad that the great majority (>90%) of the respondents to this poll said that "Faith Alone" excludes good works for justification.

The Apostle Paul stated the doctrine of justification by faith alone even more forcefully. He writes: "Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness" (Romans 4:4, 5).

He contrasts the merits of our works to grace – if you work for something, it cannot be considered "grace". Furthermore, he positively excludes works from justifying faith – he "who does not work but believes" is justified by God.

I pray that you, the reader, can honestly say: "I trust in the Lord Jesus Christ alone for my justification. I do not attempt to present my works or merits; Christ and his work – the cross – is my sole defense before the Judge of the Word."