In the Beginning God

(Gospel e-Letter - January 2014)

“In the beginning God” – the first words of the Bible give the reason for the existence of the universe as well as the right perspective for our life.

The world is becoming increasingly securalised. God has been put aside; his place is taken by man himself. Many people imagine that they can regulate their life without any reference to the law of God and without divine help. They imagine that by human wisdom and their efforts they can solve every problem and achieve success. They are fooling themselves.

I do not want to point my finger at society without an honest look at myself. I believe in God but in practice I often behave like an atheist. Engrossed in my busy schedule, many a day passes by without giving much thought about God; it is as if he does not exist at all.

But by myself I cannot do anything right. I was born yesterday; God was “in the beginning” before anything else existed. I did not give life to myself; it was God who in the beginning created the wonderful heavens above and the earth below; it was he who gave and sustains my life.

I depend completely on God; therefore I am obliged to obey him with a grateful heart and to worship him with all my soul.

I admit though that I did not always honor him as I should and that I have often broken his law. Yet God who is rich in mercy sent his Son Jesus to save people like us. Once again he took the initiative to create in us a new heart and give us eternal life by his Spirit. “Even when we were dead in our trespasses, God made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved” (Ephesians 2:5).

Therefore as God’s children we have a double reason to thank and obey him; he made us and renewed us; he is our Creator and our Saviour. God knew us even before we existed and loved us even when we were sinners.

I want Him who was “in the beginning” to be first in my life also, that he may lead and take me wherever he desires. I trust that you too have the same vision for your life.