Blessed is She that Believed


Faith is a brilliant jewel that adorns the holy character of Mary. Through faith, she received the unique blessing of becoming the mother of the Lord according to the flesh. Even as Elizabeth exclaimed, “Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her from the Lord” (Luke 1:45).

It could not have been easy for the young Jewish woman to accept the angel’s message that she would conceive and give birth to a son. How could that be? What would Joseph, her espoused husband, think? Will he put her away? Will she be disgraced among her people? And how was it possible that a virgin could conceive?

Despite many questions and uncertainties, Mary believed God’s message. She may not have understood everything, but this she knew for certain: God is trustworthy and he is able to do what he promised. Mary’s response reveals her believing and obedient heart, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38).

We are faced with a similar decision. God’s Word comes to us promising salvation to those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. “For the Scripture says, Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” And again, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Rom 10:11, 13).

All sorts of questions immediately arise in our minds. How could that be? I am a great sinner! I am unworthy! I have no merits!

To such objections, faith responds: My guilt is great; greater still is the grace of God. I have nothing to offer to God, but I will cling to the cross of Christ, his Son. Since God has promised that whoever believes in Jesus will be saved, I am fully convinced that he will keep his word. God is faithful! Therefore I now trust in the Lord Jesus for my salvation. I rely completely on Him. Lord, my soul is in your mighty and merciful hands!

Blessed are we who believe, for God will most certainly keep his Word and save us.