1 August 2014

The purpose of my life

(Gospel e-Letter August 2014)

In the midst of our busy schedules, it is good to stop for a while and ask some really important questions about our life.

1. What is the purpose of my life? 

To love. To be loved. Physical health, wealth and prosperity are fine but dispensable. Better still is the love of my family and friends. But that is not enough. My heart yearns for more. There is an infinite space in my soul that can never be filled except by the love of my Creator. “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God” (Ps 42:1).

2. What keeps me from experiencing God’s love?

Sin. I know what’s good and bad, yet often I do not follow my conscience. I know God’s law and that I should be obedient to him. Yet many a time I have said ‘no’ to the God who has created me and who keeps me alive. I have challenged him. I have offended him. I am guilty. Sin has separated me from God. (Is 59:2).

3. How can I experience the love of the Father?

Through Jesus Christ, God's Son, who came to the world to reconcile sinners to God. Just as he himself declared: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn 14:6). He who committed no sin bore my sins in his body on the tree. He freed me from sin, reconciled me to the Father, and made me a child of God.

4. How do I know that my sins are forgiven?

My sins are forgiven because I trust in Jesus Christ with all my heart. I place no confidence in anything that I do or in anyone else. I am confident that God keeps his promise to his people: “I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins” (Is 43:25). Moreover he has given me a new heart that hates evil and loves righteousness. He is teaching me to love other people, and above all, to love him, my Lord and Saviour. God is not afar anymore; his love to me is sweeter than honey.

This is how I answer these key questions; what about you dear friend, how do you answer them on your knees before God?