What's the point?



In the midst of our busy schedules, it is good to stop for a moment and ask some really important questions about our life. What's the point of it all?

1. What is the purpose of my life?

My ultimate purpose is love — I want to love and I desire to be loved. Physical health, wealth and prosperity are fine but dispensable and temporary. Better still is the love of my family and friends. But even that is not enough. My heart yearns for more. There is an infinite space in my soul that can never be filled except by the love of my Creator. “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God” (Ps 42:1).

2. What keeps me from experiencing God’s love?

Sin. I know what’s good and bad, yet often I do not follow my conscience. I know God’s law and that I should be obedient to him. Yet many a time I have said ‘no’ to the God who has created me and who keeps me alive. I have challenged his authority. I have offended him. I am guilty. Sin has separated me from God. (Is 59:2).

3. How can I experience the love of the Father?

Through Jesus Christ, God's Son, who came to the world to reconcile sinners to God. Just as he himself declared: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn 14:6). He who committed no sin bore my sins in his body on the tree. He took away my sins, reconciled me to the Father, and made me a child of God.

4. How do I know that my sins are forgiven?

For my salvation, I do not rely on myself, my achievements or anyone else. I am confident that my sins are forgiven because I trust wholeheartedly in the Lord Jesus Christ. He has promised that he will not cast away one who comes to him (John 6:37). God is not afar anymore; his love for me is sweeter than honey and more precious than life itself.

This is how I answer these key questions; what about you dear friend, how do you answer them on your knees before God?