I Thirst!

(Gospel e-Letter - April 2015)

The cry Jesus uttered from the cross briefly before he died, ‘I thirst!’ testifies to his true humanity. Jesus is the eternal Son of God, yet he also became human just like us, except for sin, and as a man he experienced suffering and pain.

He had not taken any drink for several hours; he was also exposed to the elements and bled from the wounds in his body as he hang on the cruel cross. No wonder he cried out, I thirst!

During his public ministry Jesus said, “Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become min him a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:13). What a paradox! He who promised to give living water to others now had parched lips; he who created the waters was now pleading for a drink!

His agony and thirst were necessary to obtain our redemption.
  • He humbled himself that he may lift us up with him to glory (Philippians 2:8).
  • He became poor that we might become rich (2 Corinthians 8:9).
  • He became sin for us that we might become righteous in him (2 Corinthians 5:21).
  • He was cursed that we might be blessed (Galatians 3:13).
  • He experience darkness to bring us to light (Matthew 27:45).
  • He suffered thirst that we might receive the water of eternal life (John 19:28).
Yet even at this dark moment of suffering and humilation, we behold a ray of glory. When Jesus expressed his thirst, the Roman soldiers brought him some vinegar to drink. Unwittingly they were fulfilling a messianic prophecy. ‘My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaw (Palm 22:15); and again, ‘for my thirst they gave me sour wine to drink’ (Psalm 69:22).

The fulfillment of this prophecy, as well as many others, testify that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah promised by God in the Holy Scriptures. Jesus is truly the Son of God, the Saviour of the World.

He who once suffered thirst is now in heaven and he pours showers of blessings and grace on all who believe in him. “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water’” (John 7:37, 38).

If your life is dry and empty, come to Jesus. He will give you the Holy Spirit that you may know God and satisfy your soul with his love.